Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The high chair!

I got this high chair at yet... you guessed it... ANOTHER garage sale! It was listed for $25 (what!) and another lady working the sale told me $5! WOO! I was so excited! I got it like almost 2 years ago. I tried to use some of the wood oil on it to get nice again... but alas no such luck.

So, since I did my table red, I decided to do this red too... I debated on color for quite a while since this was going to be a "unisex" item. Alas, I settled on red.

Here it is before...

The tray was totally dingy, rubbed and banged up.

However, this was my favorite part of the whole high chair. The detailed carving work!

The high chair had this bar across the lap and it seemed totally pointless... I mean unless it was to keep the child in when the tray wasn't on, but they could still slide under or just climb out. So I decided to unscrew the bar.

I then primed it white with the KILZ spray primer.

I then used Rust-o-leum's Colonial Red to paint.
It's the best red I've found. It's the same color as the table.
This is what it looked like before I glazed it black!

The end result is AMAZING!

You ready?

...

TA-DA!!!
Isn't it beautiful!?

I like it so much better without that weird bar...

The glaze REALLY brought out the detail work in the wood! I really love it!

I just love all the detail in the whole thing too.


What do you think!? Awesome huh?!
Did I mention how much I love it!?

Well... we close TOMORROW on our home! So maybe between signing our life away, the carpet picnic, our sleepover in sleeping bags, tearing out tile and pergo flooring and doing some painting... (oh... the list goes on) I'll post some updates! However, don't be surprised if you don't hear from me for a bit. (However, I did get our internet set up to be installed next Tuesday!)

Wish us luck!!!

4 comments:

  1. You are sooooo crafty! You put my semi-craftiness to shame girl! Keep it up. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! My mom had a highchair similar when my little sister was a baby. But yours looks much nicer! Good luck with everything tomorrow too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! Wish I had this when our kids were younger! Great idea to give it a wash in black -just perfect {sigh}.... Popping over from Better After.

    ReplyDelete