Sunday, March 27, 2011

The buffet table

Sorry it's been a little bit since my last reveal... I've had quite the busy week with my daughter turning 3... plus we are closing our our house THIS WEEK!!! YEAH!

Anyways... I got this piece for.... FREE! Yep... this was from my grandma's ol' storage room. (It's amazing the stuff you can get to refinish out of your grandparents basement!) She decided to get rid of it and I quite honestly, I debated about this project. I didn't know if I could pull it off. But alas, I figured I would try and then if it didn't work... get rid of it myself!

Here are the BEFORE pictures...
Old and dingy... but def some potential there...

It opens up to expand, hence buffet table. My grandma literally used it as the buffet table for our family dinners to put all the dishes on.


This piece will be going in our Living Room. In there, we are getting new carpet that is a warm topey color. It's actually called Mellow Maple I believe. Then the walls will be a greenbrier beige
I have dark green microfiber couches with pillows that have some bold patterns with black, grey, mustard yellow and brown and cream. I got the color idea from here.

I sooo excited for the finish product!

I first started off by take all the hardware and doors off and taping up the hinges and top of the table.

I then primed it with KILZ primer (do NOT use the odorless one...its horrible). With this stuff, you are not required to sand before hand. I LOVE it!



I then waited until the primer was dry. I actually waited like 24 hours. Then I sprayed everything with the Krylon spray paint. The color I used was the Bauhaus Gold. I love it!

This stuff dries REALLY quickly and so it made it easy to get it all done in just one morning. I was then able to glaze by that afternoon. Make sure you let it dry for a little bit longer than the can says, just so you dont pick it up and find out the under layers are wet and you create a smudge. (In that case, just wait til its dry, sand that spot and repaint it...)

I then was ready to glaze. Doing this makes me so nervous because it dries rather quickly and you need to wipe it off almost right after you put it on.
I use Ralph Lauren's glaze. Its been recommended most. When you buy it, make sure you ask them to tint it for you. It doesn't come tinted. I have them do it in black.

This is my glazing station all set up! (P.S. I love the Diet Dr Pepper Cherry, but I the reason there is so much is because it was on sale and when we move into our house, we will be house poor and soda is one thing we can cut out... so... we stocked up. ;) Plus, it makes for good use to help prop things up while you paint!)

This is what it will look like when you apply the glaze. You would then take a rag and wipe it off, going WITH the grain of the wood... this is key!!! Make sure you get in the corners and crevices to really make sure you get the "antiqued" look you want.

Make sure you let the glaze also dry for about 24 hours just to be on the safe side.


Now.. are you ready to see the finished product?

....

here

....

it

...

IS!!!!
....

TA-DA!!!


Isn't is fun!? Now, I understand some people don't like bold things, especially for furniture... but not this lady!!! :D

I did have to spray the top black a little to cover up some of my spills I got on it...



This table will serve as my entry table with a lamp of some sort and a bowel with some fun things in it... Don't worry all the ideas that are swimming around in my head are just WAY too much to put down in writing... ;)


I did spray the handles and hardware in a metallic black. I really think it helps make everything just POP!!!

I ABSOLUTELY love it!!! I'm so excited to get it in my house!!!


2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! As always! Can't wait to see it all put together in YOUR NEW HOME!,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I LOVE all the transformations! You're a girl after my own heart. I love the buffet table, it is beautiful! But please, I beg of you, do not put a bowel on top of it (even if it does have fun things in it), I would put a bowl on there instead. :)

    ReplyDelete